04/06/2017 Let’s Dish! 17 Food Trends for 2017
Alli Walsh, Social Media Strategist
Let’s Dish! 17 Food Trends for 2017
Predicting which foods and cuisine-related trends will take hold is, in all honesty, a little bit of a crapshoot. There’s a lot that goes into the making of predictions, be it culinary vision or marketing department direction. But if you’re a lover of all things gastronomic, the source may be irrelevant if the result tastes great. From global thinking to just plain yum, here’s a quick curation of 17 of the most prominent predictions in food for 2017:
- Cauliflower. If there’s one food on every list, it’s cauliflower. Look for this versatile veg to take the place of trendy relatives Brussels sprouts and kale.
- No more waste. Globally-minded chefs will continue to be committed to using or donating all they procure. Thanks to social media, this practice is expected to trickle down to home chefs as well.
- Sustainability. This is no buzz word, it’s a way of cooking for good. Choosing sustainable ingredients is a social responsibility that the food world takes seriously.
- New cuts of meat. Innovative cooking methods mean once tough or difficult to cook cuts become delicacies. Look for a surge of cuts like oyster steak and shoulder tender on menus this year.
- Back to (better) basics. Simple, but perfected items like bread and butter will edge out frou-frou elements like foam and essence.
- Ish. Yep, you read that right. For health-minded eaters who strive for an overall eating lifestyle such as vegan, paleo or macrobiotic, there’s good news. Trend predictors see a trend of “ish” (think “healthy-ish”) meals created in line with these choices to help eaters delight while adhering to the tenants of their desired eating plan.
- A side of story. Any good foodie knows food tastes better when you know the story behind it. Look for menus to be crafted with a story in mind.
- Eat the street. Street food delivers big on flavor, local culture and experience, from a roadside vendor, food truck or local establishment. In 2017, street food secures its spot on high-end restaurant menus.
- African flavor. The hottest ethnic flavors for 2017 come from Africa. Sweet spices like ginger and cinnamon, combined with the savory flavor of onion and garlic, as well as chilies and coconut are just the tip of the iceberg of tastes this cuisine delivers.
- Easy peasy family eats. The sheet pan is proving to be a hot ticket item this year, on which entire meals of chopped veggies (get the kids involved in prep!) and meat are roasted and served. No serving tray required.
- Taco takeover. What’s new, right? All the world loves a taco and 2017 delivers more of these creative packets of giant flavor.
- Home-based food entrepreneurs. Access to culinary instruction, chef secrets and recipes means home chefs know how to cook. Those with a flair for entrepreneurship are combining talents to start and grow successful food-based businesses from home.
- Pickled and fermented foods. For health reasons or just for the flavor punch they provide, expect pickles to prevail. And we’re not just talking cucumbers; be on the lookout for pickled everything, including cauliflower. And kimchi, or fermented cabbage, hits even more menus than last year.
- Experience matters. For restaurateurs, experience never mattered more. Diners don’t want pomp and circumstance, they want straight-up hospitality.
- Bhudda bowls. Is there anything more comforting than a bowl full of goodness? Sometimes called “glory bowls”, these dishes combine wholesome grains, beans, veggies, seeds or nuts and spices.
- Video. If you’re on social, you’ve surely seen, saved and maybe even tried a quick video recipe that’s landed in your newsfeed. In 2017, expect more of that, with a focus on livestreaming, an inexpensive, uber-accessible means for chefs and chefs-to-be to create connections, hone skills and share talents.
- The after-dinner drink. Appearing on menus everywhere: the digestif. These tasty meal enders trigger production of enzymes that aid digestion, helping eaters feel a bit more comfortable after indulging.
For Individuals & Families Coverage = Confidence
Life full of uncertainity.You can't eliminate it.But you can manage it. Supplemental coverage from Combined Insurance helps you pay for things standard insurance doesn't cover. So, you're prepared for the unexpected.
For Employers & Associations Coverage they want
Start of statement by W. CLEMENT STONE, FOUNDERDo the right thing because it's the right thing to do.End of statement W. CLEMENT STONE, FOUNDERContact Combined Insurance